Thursday 13 November 2014

Recruitment Rocks








My first day as a recruiter. Following was my first mandate:
Hiring for a Ship Building Company in Mumbai. Specifications: BE Mechanical with experience in maintenance of vessels. Willingness to travel or relocate.

Now let me describe me : Ship Building = Greek. Lost, confused. The feeling was more like me in the middle of the ocean. Get me a ship to get out of here… eeks ships again.

Simultaneously working on : Retail Sales for a Leading Shoe Brand.  Good Communication, Pleasant personality and willing to join immediately (this reminds you of the standard matrimonial ads: Bride wanted, tall, fair, homely and employed. Phew…. All is Well! All is Well! Pacifying my heart that I will sail through this. Sail??? OMG not again.

Then come the  Power Puff Girls to my rescue. My mentors Amina Azad and Meenakshi  Sharma. Cracking down the code and spelling it as “Recruitment for Dummies” But sure enough every step was a learning, and eye opener to the dna of every industry .  Understanding functions, organisational structures, mapping and the devious head hunting strategies.

Well what makes this job fun is that that there is never a dull moment.  Each day is action packed with highs and lows. Each day brings a new experience. Every meeting with a client or candidate brings you closer to understanding the complex human nature.  Every interaction is a step forward to the being a better recruiter.  The catch being that the learning never ends. The constantly evolving business environment, the changing hiring patterns, newer avenues for talent acquisition, all of this and more makes Nirvana impossible.


But who cares. Recruitment is better than Marijuana . The kick is addictive and I so want to stay high.

No comments:

Post a Comment