Tuesday 5 February 2013

Its Not A Guy Thing




A zillion wheels heading in the same direction. The dust, heat, the thump, the adrenalin rush when you hear a Harley Davidson vrooooom. Not a regular girl’s choice of place to spend the Sunday evening but I was more than thrilled to be at the India Bike Week.

Thanx to my buddies Anthony, Ivan and Mevrick I was able to step into a man’s territory of mean machines and treat my eyes to Harley Davidsons and Royal Enfields. To have so many Pre war and Post war bikes to see was amazing, not forgetting the antiques which were absolutely breathtaking. All I could do was click click click and sigh sigh sigh.

The movie arena had documentaries playing of bikes with their historical designs to present frames, bikers sharing their experiences of long rides and custom designing their rides. The endless amount of safety gear, snazzy shades, boots, leather jackets, accessories etc were jaw dropping.

The sport arena had Full Contact Tournaments happening with tough men, flashing their muscles and beating the hell out of their opponents. Just to let you know Full Contact allows any move against any part of the body. And I am sure only a man of steel would venture into the ring.

Three contenders vied for the Best Custom Bike Manufacturer and I met another man with passion Adil Dumasia of Transfigure Custom House. Ours was an instant bonding with Mumbai & bikes being a common connect. His custom bikes are built from scratch in 23 days flat. His use of molded brass in the design was exceptional, the internal wiring system, the dual chain, engine design, the gear lever and the gold plating made this baby priceless. Obviously he had my vote. And by the way this machine will be auctioned off to the highest bidder on his website www.transfigurecustomhouse.com


The circuit had owners flashing torque and their passion for wheels. And the best part of the event was the Harley Davidson tent where I was face to face with my dream devil – Fat Boy Special and also had the opportunity to mount it. The evening ended with us picking souvenirs and enjoying music. Never for a moment did I feel that I was encroaching into a domain reserved for the stronger sex. My guy friends were amazed at how the wheels drew us closer. I transitioned from being a gal pal to a bindaas buddy. I must say that women bikers are few in number but the fraternity is such that if you love the machine the guys are more than welcome to have you aboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment